An Archaeological Investigation of Barber Landing, Pitt County, North Carolina
- ECU Author/Contributor (non-ECU co-authors, if there are any, appear on document)
- Robert Mitchell Patterson (Creator)
- East Carolina University (ECU )
- Web Site: http://www.ecu.edu/lib/
Abstract: Twelve sites, including a modern farmstead, were discovered in 1976 by Dr. David Phelps of East Carolina University (ECU) during a Cultural Resource survey of 335 acres along Barber Creek for Greenville Utilities Commission (GUC). Phelps supervised surface collections undertaken in 1977, 1981, and a field school in 1988. The field school, which included two of these sites, 31PT200 and 31PT201, is the main focus of this thesis. The historic components of these sites are the main subjects in this investigation of Barber Landing. Through 1) examining historical documents, 2) analyzing previously excavated archaeological material to make interpretations about site use, and 3) determining whether the sites merit further investigation. A comparison of deed records and the dates calculated from artifact analysis determined that the Barber Creek B site was the earlier of the two sites, dating the midpoint of occupation to approximately 1747. The Barber Landing site was more likely occupied during the middle of the 19th century, around 1850. Based on this information, the likely inhabitants of the structure that once stood on the Barber Creek B site were William Barber and his family, for whom the creek and landings are named. The structure that was on the Barber Landing site was most likely inhabited by Sarah Eugenia Boyd Harris, who came to possess the land in 1868.
- Language: English
- Date: 2009
|Title||Location & Link||Type of Relationship
|An Archaeological Investigation of Barber Landing, Pitt County, North Carolina||http://thescholarship.ecu.edu/bitstream/handle/10342/2238/PattersonJr_ecu_0600M_10057.pdf||The described resource references, cites, or otherwise points to the related resource.